PHP or Full-Stack Developer
A flexible, remote senior position is available at InterPals, a popular social networking site that connects people around the world for friendship, language practice, travel, and more. The site has over 3 million active users. Our user base is extremely enthusiastic and dedicated, which makes development exciting: millions of people already enjoy using the service.
Our codebase is PHP on a typical LAMP stack for a high load website: sharded MySQL, Redis and Sphinx on Centos with vSphere on 10+ dedicated servers. We use some AWS services (S3, SES). Frontend is basic CSS/HTML/JS (for now, largely jQuery). We do not use a 3rd party PHP framework at this time (codebase is fully homegrown).
- Join our engineering team of 2 devs (and founder)
- Implement and oversee implementation of new features
- Maintain existing code, fix bugs, refactor code
- Coordinate with frontend devs / designers to update site design and implement mobile version
- PHP experience, preferably on high-load websites where scaling is a major concern
- MySQL - tuning applications and optimizing queries
- Ability to write lean, scalable, but also secure, modern, readable, maintainable, testable, well-documented code
- Familiarity with PHP best practices and design patterns. MVC experience is a must.
- Experience designing service-oriented architectures - big plus.
- Excellent communication skills (and upper-intermediate English and higher); self-starting, takes initiative and result-oriented
Some upcoming projects include: refactoring the codebase to make it more maintainable, new site design and mobile version, full i18n/l10n of site, improving spam detection with ML and crowdsourcing techniques, introducing virtual currency and payment processing for premium features.
What we offer:
- Flexible hours, remote work environment with Skype/HipChat communication
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
- Rates are hourly for initial period, transition to salary after that.
- Super-friendly team and occasional team get-togethers
- Founder is a developer as well, will appreciate your great code and effort
Location: We are entirely a remote team at this time, but if you are in Eastern Europe (we are in Moscow, Lviv and sometimes Seattle), this may be a plus due to time zones and opportunities to meet in person.
How to apply:
Interested? We'd love to hear from you! Send your resume, letter and any other info (e.g. GitHub profile, etc.) to [email protected].